Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Il Mare

The past few days have been all about the sea. On Monday, we went on a mini cruise in Villasimius. We were on a really nice wooden ship with 2 masts and 3 sails. However, there was not a lot of wind, so in order to get to our destination we had to motor-sail. The day started out quite sunny with all of us lounging around the boat enjoying the scenery. We arrived at our first destination relatively early in the day: a small island with a light house just off of Villasimius. A bunch of us immediately jumped in and began swimming to shore while the remainder took a dingy in.

The boat and everyone preparing to leave (sun blocking). Unfortunately, I dont have any pictures at the destinations themselves because I was swimming the whole time.






The water was unbelievably clear; I could see over 40 feet away under water and the bottom with all its little fish crystal clear. 'Twas absolutely gorgeous. We all swam to the rocks and climbed up, so we could get over to the beach and/or explore a bit of the island. Eli, Dylan, Dima, and I all tried to climb up the rocks to reach the highest point and to get the best view. The rocks were some tricky business to navigate though. They were extremely sharp under foot, uneven, and sporadically placed. Trying to navigate around the thorny brush was a difficult task to start, but trying to navigate the bird poop crust on the rock was quite literally impossible. And damn, those birds eat a lot of olives!

About halfway up, Annalisa, called for her snorkeling gear which Maggie had given me to hold onto. So now I'm stuck trying to navigate back down with the stuff, losing all the ground I'd just made up. This typically wouldn't be that big of a deal, but those rocks really hurt. I ended up getting stuck, unable to move further without trampling through the brush, so I had to throw the snorkel as far as I could down to Annalisa. I didn't risk throwing the other stuff because they would have easily broken on the rocks. I headed back up trying to catch up with the crew ahead and got to them right as they were turning around to leave from the top. So my enjoyment of the view was short lived, but the adventurous nature of the climb made it worth it.

When we got back down we dove into the little cove of the island relishing in the soothing feel of the cool water. We swam around, jumping in, looking at the aquatic world for a little while longer before heading back to the boat for lunch. Lunch was a tasty assortment of pasta, bread, cheese, meat, and wine (as per usual). We all drank and ate merrily while we headed off to the next location. At this time, clouds had rolled overhead and a little bit of thunder could be visible in the distance. It was cool to see, but a little bit chillier (none the less beautiful out).

We arrived at the second beach a short while later where we all jumped in and swam to shore again. This destination was actually a beach with fine sand, which was refreshing change. We explored a little of the area over some rocky outcrops, but it was nothing in comparison to the previous. It was fun just hanging out, swimming around, climbing rocks, but most of all just enjoying the scenery. Both locations were so gorgeous it was nearly impossible not to enjoy it. We all went back that night very satisfied with our excursion that day.

Tuesday, we got up at 10 to meet for our group project, just talking through the different things we were each going to do and getting a general understanding and plan of actions set. At 2 we had our first class of the day, which was a short lecture on the end-of-life vehicle recycling. And we had a second lecture at 3 on mining debris and the manners in which it is taken care of on the island.

After this I went back to the room for awhile, relaxing and getting a little more work done. Then, a bunch of us went out to dinner. We ended up as a kind of small place on a side street a little ways down the hill. It was pretty nice at first, they served lots of bread, and the pasta I had was good, but then they served the main course... mixed fried fish. You'd think this would be tasty, coming from a land of fish and chips that are to die for, but it was anything but. All of the fish were cooked with their bones in place still and heads attached. I tried to eat through it, but after awhile I was gagging too hard and had to stop. This was a fairly nice restaurant too, I don't know how they could possibly get away with serving something as trashy as that. Though I was not wheres near full, it ended up ruining by appetite and my mood. Never thought Id pay so much for crap. We were also sitting at the restaurant for 3 or so hours, so even though I really wanted to get up and walk around towards the end, we had to sit and wait another hour for the waiter to bring the check.

From there I took a walk down to the sea to take a look out at where those fishy friends I''d been eating should've been. Was nice to clear my head and get some fresh salt air. However, when I got back to my room, the fish was not sitting right with me. Took me hours to fall asleep because I was feeling queezy for the longest time... definitely not eating at that place again.

Today was much better, we went to Tuerredda beach and enjoyed the day the sunny day there. We spent the time sunbathing, swimming, fooling around, and walking along the beach. It was beach for a good ways, but there was a very rocky region Cat, and I walked over  in pursuit of retrieving the blown away beach ball and sea glass. Definitely no wheres near as tough on the feet as that other beach though. When we got back we snacked a bit on some food Annalisa had, thank you Annalisa, and tried to get out for the sun for a bit. It was really windy, so setting um an umbrella was a failure. I ended up just lying the umbrella down on the ground over myself, holding onto it to keep it from blowing away. This worked, but the umbrella helped direct wind under itself causing a lot of sand to fly up in my face. Still better then getting more burned though. After awhile longer relaxing, playing some chicken, and other beach games, we headed back. Now I'm here knocking my blog out of the way before I get to the rest of my homework. So Im gunna say ciao!

Pictures at Tuerredda Beach.




No comments:

Post a Comment