Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The schedule here in Cagliari is quite busy. Every time class finishes or a field trips ends, I am down for the count in siesta world. If your a friend of mine on Facebook then I'm sure you've seen me napping on the bus. Yeah... I am out. 

Since my last post, so much more has happened. Sunday we visited a bunch of different sites around Cagliari. These sites include an old Spanish house built on top of nuraghe ruins, a nuraghe fortress discovered in the mid-20th century, and a plateau where shepherds lived, cows and miniature horses graze, and dung beetles thrive.

Pictured below is the nuraghe fortress. The stones were arranged in a sort of maze up to the main fort.


Pictured below is just one of the beautiful sites we saw on this hike. 


When we finally got back around 6:30pm, I was so exhausted that, you guessed it, I conked right out for a 4 hour siesta. When I awoke, I went to grab some food and got back just in time for the Italians to arrive. They were leaving the following day, so we decided to have one more feste before they left. This one wasn't quite as wild as the last, but it was still so much fun, and I miss all those guys already. 


I'm regretting we didn't get more pictures together now. I have some video but not many pictures.

The next 2 days were spent primarily in class. We finally started buckling down and learning about waste management and policy. The material is actually very interesting, however the accompanied technical visits were a bit on the smelly side. Today, Wednesday, we visited 3 different waste treatment facilities: one paper facility, one compost facility, and one incinerator. It was interesting learning about the processes raw waste materials undergo in order to be turned back into usable resources. With all the noise of the plants, it was a bit hard to hear all the technical information, but it was still cool to see all the machinery and the flow of waste through the factory.

Pictured below is the paper within the paper recycling plant and some of the computer controls they use to monitor the equipment.



Here is the stray dog we found at the compost plant. I think Audrianna nearly took the pup home.


Compost from the plant after maturation and ready to be used for agriculture.


THE CLAW. Remind anyone of Toy Story 3?


I have tons more video from the trip, however it needs editing before it can be posted, and I don't currently have any editing software on my computer. When I get home I'm going to get some so I can try and compile all the best video from this trip.

I'm going to leave you with a few more miscellaneous photos of Cagliari that were taken sometime in the past week. Ciao!











No comments:

Post a Comment